Greenhouse Maintenance Operator
LeaderBrand Produce Limited is one of New Zealand’s largest and most diverse horticultural businesses with operations in Ashburton, Matamata, Pukekohe and our home base in Gisborne. We pride ourselves on being one of New Zealand’s leading suppliers of vegetables and prepacked salads.
We have an exciting opportunity in our brand-new Gisborne Covered Production facility; it is the first and largest greenhouse of its kind in New Zealand for growing vegetable crops in soil. Our Covered Production project is a highly-automated, self-sustainable 11-hectare greenhouse; providing fresh crops to our salad production facility year-round and offering an unparalleled growing and working environment.
The successful applicant will be involved in maintenance of the house and crop production.
About The Role
The Greenhouse Maintenance Operator is a full time permanent role based at our Makauri Farm. Expected pay rate is $28.00 to $34.00 per hour (depending on your experience and skills), with working hours being a minimum of 40 hours per week.
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic team player who has a keen eye for detail and strives for excellence in all they do and offering a ‘jack of all trades’ background. No two days are the same in this role with tasks involving maintenance across the entire site, greenhouse structure and irrigation, to seeding and harvest. The role will predominantly be maintenance focused supporting the Greenhouse Manager in all maintenance and up-keep functions ensuring the optimum day to day running of the house. Duties will include ownership of the following:
- irrigation and drainage systems
- vent, motor, shade screen and structural maintenance
- plastic and roof maintenance
- supporting the growing team where necessary in crop production operations.
What we can offer you:
- Competitive wage
- Full time permanent employment
- Great work environment; best of both indoor and outdoor growing
- Ongoing training and development opportunities
- An experienced support team from a wider, well-established business
- Lots of staff benefits and rewards.
Our successful candidate will offer:
- Maintenance or construction knowledge ideally but at least a mechanical/practical skill set and willingness to learn
- Some tractor or machine operation experience or willingness to learn
- Attention to detail in all operations
- Enthusiastic attitude
- Quick thinker and able to problem solve on the go
- Enjoy working alone or as a team
- Willingness to learn, grow and challenge
- An interest or experience in horticulture/agriculture – you will be supporting the manager in maintaining the house and growing
- Full drivers’ license
- Pass a pre-employment drug test
- New Zealand citizenship or valid working visa.
Our small team is just starting their journey on our innovative future farming project, with a large support team of experienced agronomists, operators and supervisors to tap into when required. This is your opportunity to join us as we embark on this exciting new project.
Successful applicants are required to undergo pre-employment saliva drug testing, be a New Zealand citizen resident, or hold a valid work visa.