WHAT WE GROW
Tender, nutritious and delicately flavoured – Courgettes or Zucchinis are one of nature’s most versatile fruits! Yes, that’s right Courgettes are in fact a fruit, but we treat them like a vegetable.
Here’s how we grow and harvest ours, plus a few tips to help you make the most out of this crowd favourite.
where do they grow?
Our courgettes are grown on our Chertsey farm in the South Island from January through to April making the most of the warm, dry summer days.
how do we grow courgettes?
To make sure we deliver the best quality Courgettes – we follow these important steps:
- First, we begin by selecting the highest quality seed varieties. The things we look out for: straightness, length, colour (nice dark green) disease and pest resistance and most importantly they must be nice and tasty.
- Preparing the land is as important as selecting the best seed varieties. We take special care to look after soil structure and texture thus ensuring the best possible water and nutrient holding capacity – all essential nutrients for plant growth.
- All our delicious courgettes are hand harvested when they reach 15-20cm long to ensure we select the very best produce.
- As soon as they are harvested, we pack them directly into crates in the field and cool them immediately to lock in freshness.
- From there, we keep the temperature low and deliver them to supermarket shelves across the country. Some are packed in a convenient 3 pack in MAP (modified air packaging) – a special breathable film controlling the respiration rate which keeps them fresher and tastier for longer.
did you know?
A courgette has more potassium than a banana. Courgettes are also a source of vitamin C!
Looking for the perfect courgette? Look for glossy, blemish free skins and avoid any that show signs of softening or withering. Biggest is NOT best. The most flavourful courgettes are small- to medium-sized.
find us instore
Tender and delicately flavoured. One of natures most versatile fruits add it to your next pasta, salad and BBQ.
- Jan – Apr
- Source Of Vitamin C
- Source of Potassium