WHAT WE GROW
Fresh, sweet and juicy. Nothing tastes like summer more than a refreshing slice of watermelon. Not only do they taste good, but they’re also a healthy antioxidant, packed full of vitamin A.
At LeaderBrand we grow two types: the large, striped jubilee variety, and the smaller, sweeter micro-seeded variety
WHERE DO THEY GROW?
Watermelon love the sun, so we grow ours at our Gisborne farm. The hot temperatures and long hours of sunshine provide the best growing conditions.
Make the most of watermelon while it’s in season, which is usually from mid-January until March
HOW DO WE GROW IT?
To make sure our watermelons are fresh and delicious, we follow a few important steps:
- Depending on the variety, we’ll either grow seedlings in our nursery for 4 to 6 weeks and then transplant them when they’re ready, or sow seeds directly into the ground.
- Our watermelons tend to grow for around three months until they are ready for harvesting. While they’re growing, we use an environmentally friendly trickle irrigation system to give them a steady stream of water and nutrients .
- We hand harvest our watermelons when they’re ready, looking out for visual clues like even striping and colour to see how ripe they are.
- To make sure every watermelon is top-quality, we constantly cut them open to check for colour and taste. The perfect watermelon should be a nice shade of pink or red and taste a little sweet.
- As soon as our watermelons are harvested, we wash them, grade, size and pack them into large bins ready for transport directly to your local supermarket.
DID YOU KNOW?
Watermelon is best eaten fresh, but if yours has to go in the fridge, store it in an air-tight container to keep it juicy for longer.
Love a juicy watermelon? Watermelons are around 90% water, so picking the heaviest one you can find should mean it’s nice and juicy too.
Another great tip for choosing watermelons is to tap it before popping it in your shopping trolley. If it sounds like a drum, it’s ripe and ready to go!
FIND US IN STORE
Juicy, colourful and delicious, there’s no summertime fruit quite like watermelon.
- Jan – Apr
- Gluten Free
- Super Hydrating