WHAT WE GROW
Delicious and full of nutrients, broccoli is a Kiwi favourite for good reason.
Here’s how we grow and harvest ours, plus a few tips to help you make the most of one of Mother Nature’s tastiest veggies.
Where does it grow?
Our broccoli is grown at three different farms so we can distribute it across the country year round.
Our Pukekohe farm offers fertile, volcanic soil on the outer fringes of Auckland. While Gisborne our largest farm offers big open fields and deep soil – ideal for growing broccoli.
In the South Island, we grow on our Chertsey farm. This farm boasts a cool, dry and stable climate.
HOW DO WE GROW it?
To grow the tastiest broccoli and keep it fresh from farm to shelf all in one day, we follow these steps
- First, we grow our broccoli seedlings in nurseries in Gisborne and Chertsey for 4 to 10 weeks depending on the season.
- We transplant the seedlings into the soil, where they grow for around 2-4 months, depending on the season.
- When it’s fully grown, we hand harvest our broccoli and pack it directly into crates on the field.
- As soon as it’s packed, our broccoli goes straight into a blast chiller to lock in freshness by bringing its temperature down to a chilly 4 degrees.
- From there, we keep the temperature low and deliver them to supermarket shelves across the country.
DID YOU KNOW?
Looking for the perfect head of broccoli? Bigger doesn’t always mean better – try picking out the heads with the tightest florets instead.
To keep broccoli from going limp and floppy in the fridge, spray it with a bit of water. Veggies need hydration too!
Don’t skip your stalks! Broccoli stalks are packed full of flavour, which is why we use ours in LeaderBrand Broccoslaw. Try it for yourself at home – grate your broccoli stalks and toss them in your next stir-fry or salad.
Delicious and nutrient dense. We grow and handpick ours at optimum maturity to lock in all the good stuff.
- Available All Year Round
- Gisborne, Pukekohe & Chertsey
- Gluten Free